Sunday 4 December 2016

Abraham Lincoln

 
 
Abraham Lincoln

 16th U.S. President
 1809-1865

 (Jean Leon Gerome Ferris: Lincoln the Rail Splitter)

-

"I think Slavery is wrong, morally, and politically. I desire that it should be no further spread in these United States, and I should not object if it should gradually terminate in the whole Union."

"As I would not be a slave, so I would not be a master. This expresses my idea of democracy. Whatever differs from this, to the extent of the difference, is no democracy."

"I have always hated slavery, I think as much as any Abolitionist."

"Now I confess myself as belonging to that class in the country who contemplate slavery as a moral, social and political evil."

"I think we have fairly entered upon a durable struggle as to whether this nation is to ultimately become all slave or all free, and though I fall early in the contest, it is nothing if I shall have contributed, in the least degree, to the final rightful result."

"That is the real issue. That is the issue that will continue in this country when these poor tongues of Judge Douglas and myself shall be silent. It is the eternal struggle between these two principles - right and wrong - throughout the world. They are the two principles that have stood face to face from the beginning of time, and will ever continue to struggle. The one is the common right of humanity and the other the divine right of kings. It is the same principle in whatever shape it develops itself. It is the same spirit that says, 'You work and toil and earn bread, and I'll eat it.' No matter in what shape it comes, whether from the mouth of a king who seeks to bestride the people of his own nation and live by the fruit of their labor, or from one race of men as an apology for enslaving another race, it is the same tyrannical principle."

"Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal."

"I can not but hate [the declared indifference for slavery's spread]. I hate it because of the monstrous injustice of slavery itself. I hate it because it deprives our republican example of its just influence in the world - enables the enemies of free institutions, with plausibility, to taunt us as hypocrites - causes the real friends of freedom to doubt our sincerity, and especially because it forces so many really good men amongst ourselves into an open war with the very fundamental principles of civil liberty - criticising [sic] the Declaration of Independence, and insisting that there is no right principle of action but self-interest."

"Let there be no compromise on the question of extending slavery. If there be, all our labor is lost, and, ere long, must be done again."

"You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today."

"No man has a good enough memory to be a successful liar."
 
"I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live by the light that I have. I must stand with anybody that stands right, and stand with him while he is right, and part with him when he goes wrong."
 
"You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time."
 
"Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm."
 
"We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it."
 
"Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves; and under the rule of a just God, cannot long retain it."
 
"I'm a slow walker, but I never walk back."
 
"Our defense is in the preservation of the spirit which prizes liberty as a heritage of all men, in all lands, everywhere. Destroy this spirit and you have planted the seeds of despotism around your own doors."
 
"With the fearful strain that is on me night and day, if I did not laugh I should die."
 
"There may sometimes be ungenerous attempts to keep a young man down; and they will succeed, too, if he allows his mind to be diverted from its true channel to brood over the attempted injury."
 
"The way for  a young man to rise is to improve himself in every way he can, never suspecting that anybody wishes to hinder him."
 
"I do not think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday."
 
"Lets have faith that right makes might; and in that faith let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."
 
"I was born and have ever remained in the most humble walks of life."
 
"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."
 
"I am a success today because I had a friend who believed in me and that I didn't have the heart to let him down."
 
"I would rather be a little nobody, then to be a evil somebody."
 
"The best way to predict the future is to create it."
 
"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
 
"Whatever you are, be a good one."
 
- Abraham Lincoln